Requirements for Graduation
The basic requirements for an undergraduate degree from Averett University are a minimum of 120 semester hours of credit (60 semester hours of credit for the associate degree) with at least a 2.0 grade point average on all work attempted as well as on courses offered to complete the major. Other specific requirements are listed below:
- Students must satisfactorily complete all Core General Education requirements.
- Students must achieve satisfactory completion of a specified major area of study.
- The last 30 semester hours of academic work prior to graduation must be taken at Averett University.
- Transfer students must complete a minimum of 60 semester hours at a senior college or university, at least 30 of which must be from Averett University.
- Transfer students must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 12 semester hours in the major field at Averett University. Individual programs may have higher semester-hour requirements.
- Students who are first admitted to Averett University as special students must earn a minimum of 30 semester hours of credit after obtaining degree-seeking status.
- Students must file an application for graduation with the Registrar’s Office by the designated date in the semester in which graduation is planned. See the university calendar for the exact dates. Appropriate forms are available in the Registrar’s Office or online at http://www.averett.edu/registrar/senioryear/graduation-applications.php.
- Students must have completed all requirements for graduation in order to participate in commencement exercises.
- Students must have met all financial obligations to the University in order to participate in graduation. All tuition, fees, fines, bookstore charges, and other bills must be paid in full prior to participating in graduation.
In addition to the requirements listed above, students must participate in a university-wide exit questionnaire and/or departmental exit examination. Students should consult with the individual department for details.
It is the student's responsibility to be familiar with and to fulfill all requirements for graduation.
A student may choose to graduate under the requirements of any Averett University catalog in effect from the date of the student's entrance through the year of the student's graduation, providing enrollment for fall and spring terms has not been interrupted.
If continuous enrollment in the University has been interrupted for one or more semesters, the student must graduate under the catalog that is current upon his/her readmission.
If degree requirements are changed so that a once-required course is no longer offered, the department or University may substitute a comparable course requirement.