CoffeeBreak is a newsletter distributed to Averett faculty and staff to keep them up to date on campus activities and information.
Please send information you would like included in CoffeeBreak via
this form by April 3 for a an April 10 publication.
Did you know?
• Two service-learning classes are underway this semester: ENG299/War in Literature (Toni Gazda); and PE 304/Secondary School Physical Education (Michelle Liu)
• Prospective service-learning classes for the fall semester: education (Aimee Brenner), freshmen IDS (Joan Kahwajy-Anderson) & business (Nancy Ryan)
• Thanks to the generosity of the Danville Regional Foundation, Averett senior Samantha "Sam" Lupo has been appointed student ambassador and works on our campus to develop the presence and programs connected to community engagement and service-learning. Visit Sam at the front desk of the Student Success Center on MWF from 1-4 p.m. and ask her about upcoming events in our newly-launched initiatives!
• More than 80 Averett students volunteered last semester in a city-wide day of community service and enthusiastically asked for a similar opportunity this semester! Get the word out: The Day to Engage is Thursday, April 11. Students can review a list of community partners, ask questions, and sign up by visiting Sam in the Success Center or going to
www.danrivercenter.org/day-to-engage. A picnic will be held from 5-8 p.m. on the lawn outside the Student Center at the end of the day to celebrate. Please encourage your students to ENGAGE!
|Faculty/Staff of the Year - Nominate Now!|
The deadline for submissions for the annual Outstanding Faculty and Staff awards is fast approaching. If you have not yet nominated someone, and you want to, you have until 4:30 p.m. Friday, April 5 to do so.
The nomination form, along with the criteria, can be found by clicking here.
|Prezi Workshop Offered|
Instructional Technologist Kim McMurtry offers a hands-on workshop in Prezi Basics at 3 p.m., Wednesday, April 17. Prezi, a cloud-based presentation software, is an alternative to PowerPoint. Its zoomable canvas can allow more nonlinear development of ideas than PowerPoint's slideshow. It also offers real-time online collaboration with up to 10 other people. See the complete workshop schedule and register today.
|Career and Networking Fair on Campus|
The Gregory Career Services Center will hold a Career Fair on Wednesday, April 10 from 1-4 p.m. in the multipurpose room of the Student Center. Some of the companies attending include Infinity Global, Goodyear, BB&T, Lynchburg Police and Virginia State Police. Please encourage students in your classes to attend dressed professionally and to bring their résumés. For more information, please contact Petrina Carter firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Out with the Old in with New|
The Schoolfield House Booksellers has expanded its clearance section! Select merchandise has been marked 25-75 percent off — including T-shirts, hoodies, sweatpants, gloves, winter hats, leggings, socks, umbrellas and much, much more! New items are added weekly! Bring your faculty/staff ID for an additional 10 percent off.
|Facebook and Twitter Pages for GPS|
We are delighted to announce that the GPS Program now has its own Twitter and Facebook pages! Please follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook today! We hope you enjoy connecting with the GPS team, our students and alumni in these new communities.
|Smile for the Camera|
The office of institutional advancement has hired a photographer to take pictures for an upcoming capital campaign publication. The photographer, who should be a familiar face to many, is Bobby Carlsen, a former Averett professor. He will be on campus Monday, April 8 through Wednesday, April 10. Remember to smile big and look pretty for the camera!
|Campus-Wide Coffee Break Reminder|
Just a reminder that the next campus-wide coffee break will be on Thursday, April 11 from 7:30-9:30 a.m. in Jut's Café. Hope to see you there!
|Notable Notes and Reminders|
• Wellness Screenings: 7-10:30 a.m. in the multipurpose room of the Student Center Wednesday, April 3; Thursday, April 4; and Friday, April 5 for all eligible health plan participants. Register for an appointment time by logging in at www.gatewayhealth.com.
• The Lavinder Group will be available for your questions and concerns on Thursday, April 4 from 8-10 a.m. and 3-5 p.m. in the SGA Conference Room of the Student Center.
• The Great Colleges Survey is still open (reminders from ModernThink were sent on Friday, March 28) and available to anyone who has not completed their survey to date. For more information, or to have the survey resent to your email address, contact Kathie Tune, HR director, at email@example.com or (434) 791-7106.
• Karen Shields, Sam's Club representative, returns on April 9 and 18 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in the dining hall. Renewing with Karen allows members to pay the membership fee and receive a $10 gift card.
SORRY, there are no people to announce this week. If you have a new employee to add to our next issue, please send us this form!
SORRY, there are no new stories this week. If you have a story to add to our next issue, please send us this form!