What should I bring when I move in?
The Office of Residence Life encourages you to bring items that make your room feel like home and to make campus life more convenient for you. Here are some suggested items:
- Computer, printer, disks/jump drive
- Grounded power strips (must be UL approved), 3-pronged adaptors
- Mirror (for the back of the door), hair dryer
- Small refrigerator (no more than 2 amps, no larger than 2.5 cubic feet)
- Fan or air conditioning unit (depending on where you live)
- Towels, blanket, sheets, pillow
- Stereo/radio/CD player, TV
- Laundry supplies, iron
- Dishes, can opener
- Desk lamp, alarm clock, small trash can
- Wacky tape or Scotch tape for posters (Duct tape is not permitted)
What should I leave at home?
For your health and safety, some items are not allowed in the residence halls. These include:
- Halogen lamps, ceiling fans or track lighting
- Power tools
- Gas, charcoal or electric grills
- Candles, incense or fireworks
- Any open-coil heating appliance
- Pets (fish are allowed in 10-gallon or smaller aquariums)
- Weapons (includes paint ball guns)
- Space heaters
We encourage you to connect with your roommate prior to moving in. Space in most rooms is limited so having a conversation with your roommate about who will bring what can help maximize the space, especially with appliances such as a T.V., microwave, and refrigerator.