site map
contact us
financial aid

Federal Work Study (FWS)

The Federal Work-Study Program is financial aid that is based on financial need and must be earned through student employment. It provides an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to earn money to help pay for educational expenses.

In order to work under the Federal Work Study Program, students must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by April 1 and meet eligibility requirements. To find out if you are eligible, contact the Student Financial Services office.

Job Placement

Student with FWS award will register for Career Services at and submit a valid email and resume. Once approved the student will be able to search for work study positions available and submit their resumes to the Supervisor of that position. The student should be contacted by the Supervisor either by email or phone for an interview. Once employed by that Supervisor the student will need to work out a schedule around their classes for them to come in and work.

Employment Regulations

The Federal Work Study Program can start and end anytime throughout the fiscal year which is July 1 - June 30. If you are eligible to continue working under the program, you may work until your maximum award is met or until June 30th of the following year, whichever is first. Earnings from Work-Study can't exceed the total Federal Work-Study award which is indicated on your official award letter. Students are only allowed to work up to 20 hours per week. When assigning work hours, an employer will consider the student's class schedule and his/her academic progress.


Students will be paid the federal minimum wage for the number of hours worked at the assigned campus job. Payment will be made by direct deposit ONLY. A student must fill out the Direct Deposit form available online or at Averett Central.

Note:Work-Study does not mean the student is paid for studying. Work-Study students must satisfy the employer's requirements to be hired and maintain the job while enrolled at the University.

Send Work-Study Questions or Requests to:

Student Federal Work Study Forms


Financial Aid NetPartner
Financial Aid NetPartner

NetPartner Instructions

NetPrice Calculator

Are you looking for Adult Professional Financial Aid/Forms? CLICK HERE