Health and Wellness
Gymnasiums: Students are encouraged to use the North Campus and the Main Campus Gymnasiums. Proper attire is required. Hours vary.
North Campus Fitness Center: The Fitness Center is open daily and offers strength and aerobic equipment. Prior to beginning a fitness program, students are encouraged to undergo a physical examination conducted by a licensed physician.
Tennis Courts: Located on the Main Campus, tennis courts are open to the general public. Tennis shoes are required, and playing time is limited to one and one half hours if other students are waiting to play.
Providence Family and Sports Medicine
Averett has partnered with an off-campus medical facility, Providence Family and Sports Medicine, to provide health care services for all full-time students. Students must present their Averett ID and their medical insurance card, along with their co-payment, at the time of service. Transportation is available via the Cougar Express.
Student Health History
Students must have a health form on file in The Dean of Students Office. New students should submit this form prior to their first semester. Returning students should update the Health History Form (PDF) as needed.
Student Health Insurance Plan
- Health insurance enrollment is required for all full-time, undergraduate students (12 credit hours or more). To ensure compliance, Averett University students are automatically enrolled in and billed for the Student Health Insurance Plan. The annual cost is $1,298. Cost for new, entering students enrolling in the spring/summer semester is $799 and for new, entering students starting in the summer session $499. The Plan is underwritten by National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, Pa., a member company of American International Group, Inc. (AIG).
- If you’re currently insured, you can waive enrollment and the premium charge with proof of alternate comparable coverage. Not all plans provide comparable coverage such as out-of-state Medicaid plans, certain HMOs and managed care plans. Be sure to check with your insurance company before waiving coverage. Please note that non U.S. based International coverage and short term coverage are not considered comparable insurance coverage.
- To waive or opt out of the Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan for 2013-14 policy year:
- Log onto http://www.studentinsurance.com/Schools/va/au/
- Under Quick Links click “Waive”
- Check the box that you, “…understand this is an Annual Waiver…”
- Click “Waive”
- Log in with Averett email and student ID.
- From there follow the information about waiving out of the insurance.
- The Online Waiver form deadline is January 24, 2014.
If a waiver form is NOT submitted by the deadline, you will automatically stay enrolled in, and be billed for, the student insurance plan for the entire policy year.
- Reminder, the wavier process has to be done every year that students attend the University since plans can change with student/parents’ employer.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact AIG, Educational Markets at 1-888-622-6001 or by email at email@example.com.
Student Athletic Insurance
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact AIG, Educational Markets at 1-888-622-6001 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are participating in one or more of the Intercollegiate Sports Programs, you will automatically be enrolled in, and billed $150 for, an Excess Athletic Sports Insurance Policy. The Policy is underwritten by National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, Pa., a member company of American International Group, Inc. (AIG).
- This cost will be billed to your student account and is non-refundable.
- This coverage required by the University is on an “excess” basis to the participant’s primary health insurance policy. As an excess policy, this plan will always pay secondary to any other valid and collectible health insurance plan.