The Writing Center (WC) at Averett University is a free service offered to all students, faculty, and staff. Please review the following policies prior to visiting:
- We are not a proofreading service. You, the writer, are responsible for editing and revising your work.
- Students are not allowed to drop off papers. Our services are face-to-face and collaborative.
- The WC does not guarantee grades or error free papers. It is ultimately your responsibility to turn in error free assignments.
- The WC does not discuss grades on assignments or contradict professors and their comments. If you have a particular concern about a grade, please make an appointment to visit your professor.
- We cannot add content to your papers or assignments.
Scheduled Appointments (45-60 minutes)
- Scheduled appointments should be made 24-48 hours in advance. Same day scheduling is not available unless a consultant is available.
- If you have a long paper or project, consider scheduling regular weekly sessions.
- Arrive at least 5 minutes early for a scheduled appointment.
- For lengthy papers or projects, please request a 60 minute appointment.
- You may only schedule (1), 60 minute appointment per day.
- You may only schedule (2) appointments per week. This is to allow all students an equal chance to use the WC.
Policies for Drop-in appointments (30 minutes)
- Drop-in appointments are given on a first-come, first-served basis. Therefore, if you really need to work with a writing consultant, please schedule an appointment.
- Drop-in sessions are 30 minutes in length.
- To attend Drop-in hours, please check in at the reception desk. They will inform you if a writing consultant is available. If consultants are working with other writers, the reception desk will have a contact form you can fill out in order to schedule an appointment in the near future.
- Drop-in hours for Fall 2013 are subject to change due to consultant availability. Please see the Main Page for our latest drop-in hours.
Cancellations, Missed Appointments, and Tardiness
- Please call or email the WC as soon as you know you cannot make an appointment. (firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-791-6878).
- If you miss (2) consultations without canceling, you will not be allowed to schedule appointments for at least 2 weeks. You may continue to use Drop-in hours.
- If you are late to a scheduled appointment, you are only allowed the time remaining. If you arrive more than 10 minutes late, your appointment may be given to a drop-in student.
- Please call the WC if you are going to be late at 434-791-5761 (M-F 8:30-4:30) or 434-791-6878 (M-F 4:30-9).