General Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for federal financial aid the student must:

  • be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S. with a valid Social Security Number.
  • be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student who will be working toward a degree in an eligible program.
  • if a male resident in the state of Virginia, must be registered for the Selective Service.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress for financial aid.  Traditional students click here.  Averett Online students click here.
  • not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal educational loan.
  • demonstrate financial need except for the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan and the Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS).

If students do not meet the above criteria for federal financial aid, there are Alternative Sources of Aid they may qualify.

Citizenship Requirements

To be eligible for federal financial aid the student must be one of the following:

  • a U. S. citizen
  • a U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain’s Island).
  • a U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551 or I-551C Alien Registration Receipt Card.


The student must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) showing one of the following designations:

  • “Refugee”
  • “Asylum Granted”
  • “Indefinite Parole” and/or “Humanitarian Parole”
  • “Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending”
  • “Conditional Entrant” (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)

Students are NOT eligible for federal financial aid if they:

  • have an Employment Authorization Card/Document (Form I-688A, I-688B, or I-766) or a Temporary Resident Card (Form I-688).
  • Have an Approval Form I-797, “Application for Voluntary Departure Under the Family Unity Program.”
  • have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464).
  • are in the U. S. on an F1 or F2 student visa only.
  • are in the U.S. on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only.
  • have a G series visa (pertaining to international organizations).

Social Security Number Requirement

Students must have a valid Social Security Number to apply for and receive federal financial aid.