Federal Work Study (FWS)

The Federal Work-Study Program is financial aid that is based on financial need and must be earned through student employment. It provides an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to earn money to help pay for educational expenses.

In order to work under the Federal Work Study Program, students must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by April 1 and meet eligibility requirements. To find out if you are eligible, contact the Student Financial Services office.

Job Placement

Students with a FWS award will need log into Canvas to view and apply for available work study positions.  If you are eligible for FWS, you may choose to apply for a Community Service FWS job by selecting an Off Campus position or contacting the FWS Coordinator, Stephanie Walker at swalker@averett.edu. The application will be sent to the Federal Work Study Coordinator who will forward the application to the hiring FWS Supervisor.  The FWS Supervisor will then contact the student by email or phone to arrange for an interview.  Once employed by the FWS Supervisor, the student will need to create a work schedule that does not interfere with class attendance.

Employment Regulations

The Federal Work Study Program can start and end anytime throughout the fiscal year which is July 1 – June 30. If you are eligible to continue working under the program, you may work until your maximum award is met or until June 30th of the following year, whichever is first. Earnings from Work-Study can’t exceed the total Federal Work-Study award which is indicated on your official award letter. Students are only allowed to work up to 20 hours per week. When assigning work hours, an employer will consider the student’s class schedule and his/her academic progress.


Students will be paid the federal minimum wage for the number of hours worked at the assigned campus job. Payment will be made by direct deposit ONLY. A student must fill out the Direct Deposit form available online or at Averett Central.

Note:Work-Study does not mean the student is paid for studying. Work-Study students must satisfy the employer’s requirements to be hired and maintain the job while enrolled at the University.

Send Work-Study Questions or Requests to: stephanie.walker@averett.edu

Student Federal Work Study Forms