Commuter Students

Commuter students make up approximately 40 percent of our student body. We understand the different challenges and pressures that commuter students deal with every day. We’re here to assist you.

Living Off Campus

Averett University is committed to a vibrant residential community and to the educational value of living in such a setting. As such, we are a residential university requiring traditional, undergraduate students to reside on campus through the first-three years (6 semesters) of enrollment or until the student reaches senior class status (90+ credit hours complete).

Exceptions to the residency requirement may be granted based on the circumstances listed below. Students who would like to request a release from the University’s residency requirement must complete a Housing Waiver Request Form with the Office of Housing and Residence Life. If a spring 35 waiver is granted, it will supersede the Housing and Meal Plan Contract signed in the fall.

Students who live with a parent/guardian and commute from their permanent home address (address must be within 30 miles of the Danville Main Campus) During the commuter application process, if an address which was not originally designated as a parent address is provided, you will be required to submit a Change of Primary Residence Form and provide proof of identification that verifies the change of your primary residence.

Acceptable IDs are:

  • Virginia Voter Registration card, Virginia Driver’s License, &
  • Virginia State Identification Card.
  • The parent must show a tax related document. The tax related document can be either a State or Federal Tax return,
  • Utilities or cable bill
  • Recent paystub which lists the new address.

Students who are 23 years of age.

  • Student must turn 23 prior to October 1st to be exempt from campus housing for fall semester.
  • Student must be 23 prior to February 1st to be exempt from campus housing for spring semester.

Married student OR student who is a parent, caring/providing for a dependent child.

International student who has lived on campus for one full year (2 semesters).

Student with military service (180 consecutive days minimum).

Student with proof of independent status through financial aid/student accounts who has

Lived on campus for three full years (6 semesters).

Student who has extenuating, unforeseeable needs (medical, financial, etc.) that cannot be met by any of the housing options on campus.

  • Students must submit an Averett University Housing and Residence Life Medical Waiver Form, which is to be completed by the student and the student’s healthcare provider.
  • Parent/Guardian statement supporting need to move off campus.
  • Students must have letters of support from Financial Aid and Student Accounts in Averett Central if claiming financial need to live off campus

Places to live

Living in Danville can be a fun and positive experience. Listed below you can find some links that will help students find housing off campus. Averett University is not responsible for the content on the mentioned websites nor does the institution share the values expressed by third party websites/businesses.

Student Engagement Center

Looking for a place to hang out between classes? Catch some of your favorite shows while you relax or find a quiet place to study in the Student Engagement Center, located in the Galesi Family Student Success Center.


Located on the third level of the Student Center, Bon Appétit brings restaurant-quality dining to Averett. You can purchase meals in the dining hall or enjoy coffee and sandwiches in Jut’s Café. Click Here for the current Commuter meal plan contract, and for more information, visit our Dining at Averett page.

Computer Labs

Windows and Macintosh computers are available in Frith Hall, and Windows computers are in Main Hall, Bishop Hall, the Student Center and the Library. Some computer labs are open 24 hours a day. Priority is given to those using lab computers for academic work.


Register your vehicle(s) with Averett’s Security Office and display the appropriate decal when parking on campus. Many areas adjacent to the campus are restricted for “Parking By Permit Only.” These spaces are for city residents who hold special permits. The Danville Police Department will ticket or tow cars without the appropriate city permit. Parking & Campus Map