International Student Services website information:

This page was designed to serve as a resource for the more than 75 international students who are members of the Averett University student body. Whether you are checking us out for the first time or are currently enrolled, the information you’ll find here is intended to help you navigate your experience as a student in the United States. Any questions you have regarding admissions should be directed to Mr. Matthew Mann, Interim Director of Admissions, at [email protected].

As an institution certified to host international students, we are expected to follow the guidelines established by the United States Department of Homeland Security and the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency. You are encouraged to visit their website ( to learn more about your time as an international student in the US.

If you are an international student interested in applying for admission to Averett University, please visit the Admissions section of the website to learn more about the process you’ll need to follow: International Admissions

Newly Admitted International Students

You should plan to arrive on campus before the orientation program begins for all new students. That date for fall 2012 is Friday, August 17. If you are a student-athlete participating in Men’s or Women’s Soccer, Football, or Volleyball, you will receive notification from your coach about when you are expected to be on campus.

You are expected to participate in all of the orientation programming. On Sunday, August 19, there is a time designated during new student orientation to meet the Dean of Students. You need to bring to that meeting the following documents to be copied for your file in his office:

  1. Passport
  2. Student Visa
  3. I-94
  4. I-20

Maintaining Status

It is your responsibility as an international student to be sure you are following the below steps to maintain your status as an F-1 student eligible to study in the United States:

  1. At the beginning of every fall and spring semester, you must check in (in person) with the Dean of Students office to confirm your attendance and to verify information on file.
  2. As a student studying in the United States with an F-1 Visa, you are expected to maintain a full course load during each semester. At Averett University, full-time status is 12 or more credit hours per semester.
  3. If your local address or phone number changes, you must notify the Dean of Students within 10 days of the change.

Health Insurance Requirement

  • Health insurance enrollment is required for all International full-time, undergraduate students (12 credit hours or more). To ensure compliance, Averett University students are automatically enrolled in and billed for the Student Health Insurance Plan. The annual cost is $1,133.40. The plan is underwritten and claim service is provided by GeoBlue.
  • If you’re currently insured with a US based insurance company and the plan meets all of the standards of the Affordable Care Act, you can waive enrollment and the premium charge with proof of alternate comparable coverage.  You must send a copy of your insurance ID card to [email protected] for their review to determine if can waive the International Student Health Insurance Plan.

If a waiver request is not submitted by August 30, 2016, you will automatically stay enrolled in, and be billed for, the international student insurance plan for the entire policy year.

  • Reminder, the waiver process has to be done every year that students attend Averett University since plans can change with student/parents’ employer.
  • If you have any questions or concerns, please contact RCM&D at 1-800-346-4075 extension 1452 or by email at [email protected]

Mandatory Accident Insurance

Averett University requires students to purchase an accident policy

Averett University is concerned about the safety and well-being of our students.  Unexpected medical expenses may threaten your ability to complete your education should you suffer an injury.  The accident insurance plan will pay for any expenses not covered by your health insurance, up to $10,000 per accident.

All students are required to participate in this program which costs $180 for the year and is billed to their student account.  We understand everyone will have health insurance plan or participate in the student health insurance plan.  Most insurance policies have limitations that require the insured to pay for some expenses out of their own pocket.  This policy is designed to supplement and fill the gaps for any expenses resulting from an accident.

Please go to the following website for more information:

Enrollment Verification from the Registrar’s office

Some international students may be required by the governments of their home countries to submit documentation that they are enrolled each semester. This documentation is called “enrollment verification” and is processed by the Registrar’s Office. To complete this process, visit Averett Central and ask to speak with someone in the Registrar’s Office about enrollment verification.

Travel Information

Students who travel outside of the United States during the time they are enrolled should keep in mind the following basic requirements for reentry into the US:

  1. A current I-20 signed by the dean of students
  2. You may only be out of the United States for less than 5 months
  3. A current passport valid for at least six months after the date of reentry. Some countries allow reentry if a passport is valid through the date of entry (consult the dean of students for a list of countries)
  4. A valid, current visa
  5. Your most recent I-94, Departure Card, if entering through a land Port of Entry. If flying, the airline will collect your I-94 prior to departure and you will complete a new on upon entry.

Transportation to and from airports close to Danville

Averett University provides transportation to and from the Raleigh/Durham (RDU) and Greensboro (GSO) airports for students who are traveling at the opening and closing of the university and around certain university breaks. For more information about the shuttle schedules, the fees, and the required form, please visit our Student Services Transportation page.

Please note that 2 weeks notice is required to arrange for shuttle service.

Driver’s License Information

International students at Averett University may apply for a Virginia driver’s license.

Before applying for a driver’s license a student must:

  1. Wait 10 days after arriving in the United States to allow time for all government databases to update arrival information
  2. Meet with the dean of students to be sure the student’s SEVIS record is in active status
  3. Provide the following documentation:
    1. Valid passport with visa
    2. Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record)
    3. I-20
  4. Become familiar with the driving laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia

Working in the United States

Social Security Number Information:
A Social Security number will only be issued to non-citizens who are authorized to work in the United States.

To apply for a Social Security number a student must:

  1. Wait 10 days after arriving in the United States to allow time for all government databases to update arrival information
  2. Complete Form SS-5, application for a social security card, (
  3. In addition, two forms of documentation must be provided to verify:

Your age, identity, and work authorization

Acceptable documentation for proof of age and identity include: I-94, I-20 (showing an endorsement to work), Visa, Passport, Driver’s License
Work authorization is a letter of employment on the employer’s letterhead

On-Campus Employment

International students who wish to work on campus, must talk with the Dean of Students to be sure they are eligible and have completed all necessary forms before they begin work.

Off-Campus Employment

Typically, students will request authorization to work off-campus if they are pursuing Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT). In both of these situations, the student should consult with the Dean of Students before beginning employment.

CPT Information

“Curricular practical training must be an ‘integral part of an established curriculum’ and directly related to the student’s major area of study.” CPT is defined as “alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.” “In practical terms, ‘integral part of an established curriculum’ means an opportunity must be required by the curriculum or, if not required, the student must receive credit for the training.”

Authorization for CPT is granted by the Dean of Students in collaboration with a student’s Faculty Advisor. A student must have a work opportunity in place before being authorized for this kind of employment.

Students interested in pursuing a CPT opportunity must complete this form and schedule a meeting with the Dean of Students before beginning work.

OPT Information

OPT Must be directly related to the student’s course of study.
Most students at Averett who pursue OPT will apply for post-completion OPT.

Authorization for OPT does not require the student to already have secured employment. However, this process is more involved than for CPT. A student must complete form I-765 and pay an application fee.

Students interested in pursuing an OPT opportunity must schedule a meeting with the dean of students.

International Club

Students interested in connecting to other students who are joining the Averett community from outside the United States are encouraged to join the International Club. In addition to providing social and educational opportunities for international students, this student organization also gives students from the US an opportunity to connect with you and learn about your culture. Information about the club will be provided during the international student portion of new student orientation at the beginning of each semester.

Transfer Information

Although it doesn’t happen often, some international students choose to leave Averett and continue their education at another college or university in the United States. If you find yourself in this situation, you must work with the Dean of Students to help you with the process of transferring your information to the other college or university.