AU School of Nursing History

Averett University is a private school located in the rolling hills of southern Virginia, a few miles from the North Carolina border. Established in 1859 as a school for young women, Averett grew to a fully accredited, co-educational, four-year college in 1971. Today the university enrolls 2600 students from 25 states and 19 foreign countries, and offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs at 14 Virginia locations. In addition, several degree programs are offered via online modality. Affiliated with the Baptist General Association of Virginia, Averett welcomes students from all faiths or no faith backgrounds.

In 2010, Danville Regional Medical Center’s (DRMC) School of Health Professions (established in 1898) partnered with Averett to close DRMC’s Registered Nurse program and initiate a BSN degree program at Averett. Textiles and tobacco play an important role in the history of Danville, and the School of Nursing is located in the historic downtown Riverview district on the second floor of the fully renovated headquarters of Dimon Tobacco Company. Funding to convert the space and establish a state of the art nursing education facility came from generous benefactors, including the Danville Regional Medical Center (DRMC).

This location hosts all School of Nursing faculty and staff offices, as well as a state of the art Simulation Lab. The facilities also include classrooms, two nursing labs, a medication room, and space for a student lounge and break room. Additional classroom space is located on the first floor. The Department of Graduate and Professional Studies is also located on the second floor of the Riverside building, in the west wing.

Averett University offered an on-campus RNBSN program from 1984 to 1988 . The University launched an online RNBSN degree track and began offering classes in Fall, 2012. Averett received full approval from the Virginia Board of Nursing (VBON) for the pre-licensure BSN program in February, 2018. The first BSN students began their nursing classes in Fall, 2013. The first RNBSN and BSN students graduated in December, 2015.